Saturday, March 21, 2015

My cover and the girl behind the silhouette.


When I started thinking about what I wanted for my cover I had a few ideas:

1) Simple
2) Silhouette
3) Red
Simple
From the beginning I knew I wanted something simple without a lot of details. Like this cover. I scoured Amazon and Google images looking at different covers in my genre to get ideas for the direction that I wanted going to go. After searching far and wide, I decided I would go with one color and a silhouette.

Silhouette
I wanted the silhouette to be special, so I asked my photographer friend to take a profile picture of one of my friends. We turned that photo into the silhouette you see today. I love that every time I look at the book cover I see the familiar features of someone I love dearly. So much better than buying some stock art silhouette.

Red
The color red is a big theme in my book, so I decided to use it for my cover. I studied red covers for several weeks and decided that plain red, wouldn't work. This is when I decided on using the finger print as texture for the cover.

I took these concepts to a friend, who was a marketing guru in her past life (i.e. before kids). She put together a couple of mock-ups that I really loved. She mentioned that one of the parents at her kid's school made book covers for a living and that she was interested in meeting with me. So one night, she introduced me to Tamara Dever, co-owner and founder of TLC Graphics. Tamara was able to take the original concept and mock-up and bring it up a couple of notches. We went back and forth a few times before settling on the design that you see today.

While working on my book, I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of help and support from friends and strangers alike. This experience has been a tremendous blessing. I look forward to sharing my labor of love with the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment